Saturday, October 9, 2010

Writer's Thought #11

I will be going on an awesome vacation at the end of next week and have thought of doing some writing in the car on the way there.  I'm looking for ways to write this one scene that take me out of the box of my normal feelings, thoughts, fears, and anxieties for this scene.  It is a war scene and one that needs to be more detailed.  I feel I've given the scene the short end of the stick, so to speak.  Writer's thought #11...use inspirational places to write hard-to-work scenes!

2 comments:

  1. Sometimes, It's hard to place yourself in your character's shoes when you have never been in the same position before. Since I write a lot of war stories as well, I have gotten used to it, but I realize that my latest battle scenes are much better than my old ones. I have always found that a really good battle scene needs a lot of research. If you are writing about a particular battle in history, look it up and find all you can on it down to every last detail. Read eyewitness reports if you can. I am always excited to find those because it's seeing what happened through someone's eyes who actually was there. For me, battle scenes are one of those things that make or break a book. If they're done right, it really makes you feel something. Either exhilaration, defeat, relief, or grief depending on the battle. But I've never read a really well written battle scene that has not made me feel something!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very good thoughts, Hazel. I appreciate your detailed information. Battle on!

    ReplyDelete